Friday, June 19, 2009

Agreeable projects

This morning, I sat down before work to see if I could get another paragraph or so squeezed in on Or Your Money Back. Instead, I wound up writing almost 700 new words in half an hour. Scanning back over them when I was getting ready to take off, I realized that all of them were pretty good words. They drew out the protagonist's big internal conflict, planted seeds for three of the four main plot threads in the book, kept the POV consistent, and set up by boy Seb to be pushed out the door into oncoming plot.

This sort of unexpected progress happens just about every time I sit down to work on this project first thing in the morning. Meanwhile, at night, I hem and haw and spin in my chair between sentences. And it's just the opposite with my other novel WIP, Sum. I think OYMB is just a morning book.

I should set my alarm for earlier.

In other news, I've got another project in progress that's behaving nicely. On Tuesday I cast-on my Garter Yoke Cardigan (AKA "The air conditioning in this building can bite me" because it's going to be my summer cardi for my occasionally arctic office). I'm doing it in Knit Picks City Tweed HW, which I'd never tried before ordering a sweater's worth, so it was a bit of a gamble.

Oh my god, jackpot.

It's a soft, silky wool-alpaca blend with fluffy neutral tweedy bits. I think it may be producing some sort of seratonin-releasing chemical, because every time I pick up the yoke of my sweater, I get happy. If it's as nice to wear as it is to knit with, I may not be able to keep the finished sweater in my office like I planned.

Oh, and the pattern's pretty nice, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. :)