Sunday, April 26, 2009

Touching base with a few characters

Dear Tiern,

I am not neglecting you. I promise. I'm at the tail end of a work-intensive semester, and I'd rather put your current chapter down for a few weeks than rush through it and churn out pages of crap that I'll regret later. In addition, your very, very long story is coming to an end. Figuring out how all the ends tie up takes a lot of mental percolation, so I'm doing that right now, even though I'm not writing you. This work is just as important as the actual writing.

So please stop complaining that I've left you hanging. It's only going to be for a little while longer, and it's not even that bad a spot in the story to be waiting in - you have beer and appetizers, for crap's sake! Besides, you survived being left in the midst of awkward revelations in J's kitchen for almost two years when I started college. This should be a cake walk.

Love and minor strangulation,
Your writer

P.S. I'm still debating giving you a sex scene in this book. Stop pestering me about this little hiatus, and maybe you'll get it.

------

Dear Seb,

You were a real, live character to me from the first line I scribbled down, your story is quirky and engaging, I adore the cast you've surrounded yourself with, and to top it all off, you're the most polite, easy to write narrator I've ever worked with.

Please hold on a little longer, sweetie. You're my summer project, and I am so excited to write you. (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if your story became my first published novel. Don't rub that in with Tiern, though - I think he's already jealous.)

Premature love,
Your soon-to-be writer

------

Dear Sunshine, Kat, and Ronnie,

Have you seen my project list for this summer? Please chill. I will write you when I get a chance.

If you really want to speed things up, go help Seb with his romance plot. Dude needs all the help he can get.

Hugs, sympathy, and flicks on the ear (respectively),
Your eventual writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. :)